Monday, June 8, 2009

Back? Belly?

I realized tonight that they do a fabulous job of putting the fear of god into you when it comes to SIDS. I put Tori to bed tonight on her back like I always do, but in the midst of her putting herself to sleep, she rolled onto her belly. Now here's my dilemna...do I leave her or flip her?

There's that voice in my head (my mother and every other one of our mothers) saying that we were all put to sleep on our bellies and lived to tell about it. And I've watched her nap on her belly or roll over in the morning before I get her out of bed. But, although I know she can, I have never seen her roll onto her back. So I sit there and stare at the monitor for a few minutes, and now all I'm thinking about is what if I make a horrible mistake and pay the worst consequence (damn those nurses in childcare class and the books I read are good!). Yes, I went in and flipped her.

How long is the risk of SIDS really a risk? Would she have figured out how to get onto her back or would I have been woken up at 3am to a very upset baby?

Btw, she barely flinched when I rolled her over, so no harm, no foul. :)

5 comments:

  1. They say 6 months risk for SIDS. So do youhave a video monitor? Because I don't. And if one of my kids had flipped in the middle of the night, I would never have known unless I went in to check, which I almost NEVER do. I believe truly if tehy can flip one way, you are pretty safe as long as she doesn't get trapped under a crib bumper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we have a video monitor. It's the best thing ever. It has saved me millions of walks down the hall, and probably got me to move her into her room earlier than I might have otherwise knowing that I can always keep an eye on her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Angelle. I didn't have a video monitor either and I as long as baby was sleeping, I didn't go in to check (unless it had been an unusually long time and I expected him or her to be awake by then), so I would never have known either. Once they can roll back, they should be fine.

    Also, I had to keep both of my kids swaddled until like 7 or 8 months (Annabelle at least, I don't think Corgan was that long), so I don't think they were turning over in their sleep anyway. :) But then, there's always the SIDS fear of "what if he/she gets the blanket off and it smothers him/her?" For the past number of months, Corgan (who is almost 2 now) has been putting his blankets on his face while he sleeps. Even though he's WAY past the SIDS age, that still makes me nervous. Yes Nicole, those books and nurses sure do do a great job of scaring the crap out of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Angelle and Keri. Both of my kids slept in the same room with me until 4 months so I guess I could have easily looked over at them, but honestly if they were sleeping I didn't wake up to check on them. Once Kaitlyn moved into her crib she would immediately flip to her stomach. I always put her on her back but she was never like that in the morning. I never went in and flipped her back. I actually asked the Dr. about it and he said you should flip them. I wonder if that was a CYA though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although the SIDS risk extends to six months or longer, the age group most at risk is 2-4 months, so being extra careful until she's about 5 months is probably not a bad idea. Once my kids were about 6 months, I eased up a lot, but the fear never really goes away, like Keri said.

    ReplyDelete