Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Carseat Transition

We got Tori's new convertible car seat. We decided to go with The First Years True Fit. It has a removable head rest that makes it shorter while still rear facing in order to fit in a compact car more comfortably. And since both of our back seats are miniscule, this was a huge bonus. (yes, even the Durango...if you have a third row, you apparently lose second row space...who knew?!?) So here's my question now, she is about to outgrow her carrier and we want to switch her over, but losing the carrier means she has to sit in a shopping cart. Although she can sit pretty well, she's not perfect yet and I'm afraid she will fall sideways. Does this mean she just has to stay in the carrier carseat until she can sit in a shopping cart better?

Also, while on the subject of shopping carts, what do you guys think of the shopping cart floppy cover thingys? I looked at one because I thought it would be fun for her to entertain herself while we wander around a store, but is it annoying to have somethign else to carry around?

4 comments:

  1. If she's sitting pretty well now, the falling over thing will only be an issue for like another week or two anyway. But, in the meantime, just stuff a couple of fluffy blankets on either side of her to keep her from falling. Between that, the shopping cart buckle, and the floppy seat thingy (which is a YES from me), you should should be good. :)

    I got the Clean Shopper (http://www.cleanshopper.com/) with both kids, and I never found a cart they didn't fit in. It was recommended to me by a mom who had another brand and had problems with it fitting all carts, so she bought Clean Shopper and loved it. Not to say that other ones don't fit as well, but be sure to check the reviews on it for similar stories. :)

    Also, make sure you take a picture of her the first time that you sit in her in a regular shopping cart! She'll look like she's aged 3 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't recall what kind of shopping cart cover we had, but it fit restaurant high chairs too. I used it a TON with Leah and not as much with Erin (the extra thing to lug around got to be more of an issue then). But it was definitely important until they were confident sitters. I felt it helped keep them from some good bruises. :) And tucking blankets like Keri said will do for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a shopping cart cover with Halle at the beginning, and never really with Elena. They definitely make you feel more sanitary. Shopping carts are full of germs, of course. And the seat belts tend to be up by their shoulders, which helps keep the baby from wobbling so much. With Elena I ended up using the baby seat shopping carts a lot (which I thought were way too gross to use for Halle, but was over it by the second kid.. haha). They were kinda germy but Elena never got sick from it.

    I got the Eddie Bauer shopping cart cover that they sold at the Target at the time and it didn't fit the bigger shopping carts (like Costco/Sams/BJs) but fit all the standard ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I already am not concerned with the germs. I know this might sound bad, but germs don't bother me. Sticky stuff, that bothers me. Hahah! But my concern is more the bumps and bruises while she is still growing into the shopping cart. But I'm glad you agree with me that it's just something else to carry around (because remember, I have my shopping bags on these expeditions, too)! I'll keep looking and see waht I decide.

    ReplyDelete