Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chapter 5.5 - Feeding Help

I mentioned before that we started feeding Tori solid food. She now eats rice cereal, veggies, and fruits. Every 3 days, she gets something new and luckily, she hasn't disliked anything yet. Although, I am dreading the chicken in chicken broth. Yuck! Here's my situation though, how do you know how much to give her? Everything I read says, start with this amount and increase it. Great. When do I increase it? How much? When does food alone become a meal vs. a little bit of food with just a bottle?

Here is her current schedule:
7am - 6 oz. bottle
10am - 5 oz. bottle
1pm - 5 oz. bottle, some rice cereal, 1/3 of a small jar of baby food
4pm - 5 oz. bottle
6:30pm - some rice cereal, 1/3 small jar of baby food, a bottle (she never eats the full 5 oz here)
9pm - 5 oz. bottle

Should I replace her 1pm feeding with an entire jar of baby food? And the rice cereal...it seems to be just filler although I know it is fortified. Should she get it with every meal still?

It's too much!!

5 comments:

  1. I totally remember this transition. I struggled with it too! This is from my blog, Erin's eating at 6 months:
    wake-up time - breastfeed
    an hour or so later - cereal and fruit
    mid-AM - bottle (7 oz)
    noon - veggie and maybe cereal
    mid-PM - breastfeed
    dinner - cereal and veggie
    before bed - bottle (7 oz)
    middle of night (if awake) - breastfeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with Angelle that was about the same as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing too. Lunch was baby food fruit and cereal, dinner was baby food veggie and cereal and everything else was milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also added the cereal directly to the baby food to thicken it up instead of mixing the cereal with milk. I never measured it out, just put a scoop or two of oatmeal cereal usually with the fruit and rice cereal or mixed cereal into the veggies. Makes feeding the baby food less messy too. I think I ended the meals with a little bit of milk too if I thought she was thirsty. At about 8 months I started putting that after-meal milk into a sippy cup so she could start learning how to use that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So no milk with the "meals"? I tried not giving her a bottle tonight and she finally ate almost an entire jar. We gave her some water in a sippy cup, as suggested by the doctor to associate water with meals. Hmm...maybe I just answered my own question!

    ReplyDelete