Friday, September 4, 2009

Dry skin doctor visit

I took Tori to the doctor today. Her poor dry skin was getting worse. It's all over her legs, abdomin, and even armpits now, and she is scratching everywhere (which appears to be very difficult when you aren't so good with your hands yet). The doctor is afraid it might be an allergy. He gave me Dermasmoothe to put on, so we'll see how that goes tonight. It is oil- and cortisone-based, but at least it smells pretty. As soon as we run out of regular formula, though, we have to switch to soy. He said it could be a milk allergy. I really hope it isn't. I feel like that might be an annoying allergy.

Anyway, back to the point of this blog. I asked about the Crisco, and he said it works. Another doctor in the practice often recommends it. But this prescription he gave me should do the same thing...it is peanut oil (among other familiar oils) based. So my friend wasn't crazy after all!

But before we got to use it tonight, she scratched her arm so much, she started bleeding. :( I really hope this helps.

5 comments:

  1. Poor baby! I hope that helps!

    If it's a milk allergy, I think it wouldn't be too bad for you to have to deal with. When she's little, you would just have to use the soy formula and now there are so many soy milk options out there, I think it will just be a minor inconvenience and it will become second nature to just give her alternatives and avoid milk products. Also, from what I understand, children generally outgrow milk allergies so that would be good too. It could be worse... it could be a peanut allergy.

    Speaking of that, did the doctor not have any concerns about the medicine being peanut oil based because of possible peanut allergies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this helps! Let us know the result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thought about the peanut allergy after I picked it up. But does peanut oil have the same effect as actual peanuts? I'd have to think no or else why would my pediatrician prescribe it for my 7 month old. And the box says you can use it as young as 3 months old. Have to look into that because I'm curios now. Tons of restaurants (including fast food chains) use peanut oil to fry their french fries because it's "healthier." Maybe it doesn't carry the same risks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little itchy Tori. Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news. I did some research and refined peanut oil is not known to cause allergic reactions. Unrefined is a different story. So I think we're good. :)

    ReplyDelete